Wednesday 3 August 2011

Goodbye Nederlands and my home away from home

1/08/11



Another fabulous day combining three countries, a Belgium Church and beautiful stations of the cross garden, exploring an old castle with a hidden room and amazing sand sculptures. Then a delicious dinner and a visit to my Aunty Grada’s place somewhere in Roemond.



Within a hour and a half of Horst we were at the ‘3 land point’ a unique place to be able to be in 3 different countries at once, certainly tops being in three different ‘states’ at once! Got some typical snaps of being in 2 countries and then I had to stretch out to do the three.





Then we actually headed into Belgium – country number 11, to visit a little church and garden at Moresnet. It was surprisingly beautiful. The gardens beside the church had been transformed into an amzing stations of the cross with grotto type caves for each station and a carved inmage. Part of the roofing at been removed to allow natural light to flow in. The most magnificent was station 12 – the crucifixion which is actually an altar and outdoor mass area- beautiful!





Back into Holland and Hoenenbrook Castle. Was a fun to go through, hang in the dungeon, climbthe narrow staircases and finally find the hidden room . A priest hid from the French in the room and was never found. They tried to count the inside and outside windows and found one short so they then tried to put candles in each window to find the missing one. The priest was alerted to the fact and placed a candle in his window and was never found!




At the castle they have a some incredibly sand sculptures – all the more special to me as I had just visited so many of them – the Sacred Family Church from Barcelona – Gaudi would have been proud, the Coliseum, the Peiter statue of Mary and Jesus and the hand of God painted by Michelangelo.



Jaqueline cooked us a great dinner and then we went to attempt to visit Aunty Grada, once we worked out where she lived! Was glad we eventually found it – her smile absolutely makes my day!



2/08/11



Last day in the Netherlands – make it count. Albert and I traded the finally sunny weather for -5 degree temperatures at Snow World and my first attempt at  skiing – hope I survive.



Had a great private lesson and learnt how to put on the ski, walk side ways up the slope, lean legs and knees forward, hands on hips and back straight. Got to touch my toes, stretch up and touch my heels on the downhill and make the snow plugh triangle to go down slowly. Was able to master the turn on the practice run but when we went on the ultra long run I had a little bit of trouble finishing the turn and stack! Only had two but they were pretty major and my goodness it is hard to get back up! Two hours of playing in the cold and we headed back to Horst and grabbed some lunch – a really nice Caesar salad that actually had more meat than salad!



Albert then took me to a holiday complex. It can house over 3000 visitors at once in cottage/bungalows and has so many things to do: video games arcade, pool tables, tennis court, beach volley ball, restaurants, shops, bowling alley, beach (with sand), canoeing, aqua bikes, put put, mid ropes adventure course and more!



Finished off the evening with dinner at Block 10 with a chicken summer salad and a visit to my Rolls Royce Driver – Leo and his family for a get together and catch up.



Can’t believe my Holland stay is over- it was fantastic, with many precious memories of quality time with family and now I’m ready to join my friends on a pilgrimage through Jesus’ neighbourhood, spend some time with the big guy, have the Gospel come alive, be refreshed in my faith and hopefully be comforted with God’s voice and more of his plan for me.     

No comments:

Post a Comment