Tuesday 16 August 2011

into Egypt

11/08/11



The oldest city –Jericho, the Roman rock fortress at the famous Masada and sitting in water.



This morning we left Jerusalem and headed to, according to the video, the oldest city on earth – Jericho. We revisited the story of Joshua and his army that circled the city for 7 days before the priests blew their trumpets and the walls fell down. There are some 23 layers of different rock and life.  






Back on the bus and a surprise stop off – for me anyway – the Roman fortress of Masada. The Romans originally held this as a defence point – high rock in the middle of the desert next to the Dead Sea – using their ingenious arhctecture and use of aquaducts for running water. The Jews took it 73 AD n ary of 10000 Romans came for a siege, it took between 4 and 9 weeks. They brought a battering ram tp break through the wall after building a ramp to gain access to the wall. When the rebels were about to be defeated the story goes that the Rebel leader spoke to them about dying as free people and not allowing th Romans to kill, torture or enslave them. The soldiers killed their own families and they drew lots to see who were the last to fall on their swords. Only a handful were still alive when the Romans finally stormed inside the next morning. Some say it was an act of bravery and courage. I think I’d rather fight to the end (although I did just watch Braveheart a few weeks ago).












Another highlight at our lunch stop – swimming, well no, actually floating in the dead sea. Extremely salty, careful with your face, mouth, eyes and any cuts or sores on your body. It was a bizarre sensation to be able to float without any effort, just sit in the water and if you actually tried t oswim you would be flipped over and not actually get anywhere. The only stroke I had some mild success with was side stroke as I kept floating further and further out and didn’t know how to get back in. I picked a few rocks up to skim and to my surprise they were salt rocks. Some skimmed well, the others disintegrated.




We reached the border crossing where we  could see Jordan, Israel and Syria all at once. We said our goodbye to the bus driver Nermi and Deeb, Deeb thanked us for a great trip, he was even a little teary and I gave them a pin each, Nermi chose a flag and Deeb the Toowoomba violet.  Again I got held up at customs – maybe because I tave so many stamps in my passport? I was questioned about my name, middle name and religion. I just got through to the security hall when they closed it off to have some food for the day as it is Ramadan. Lucky for me as some of the others had to wait outside in the 40+ degree heat whilst we were in air conditioned comfort. Country number 15 for my trip ; ).



Finally we headed south to the top of the Red Sea and our accommodation for the night. On the bus we were given the run down of what to do and not to do in Egypt – no water, fresh fruit with soft skins, juice, cordials or toilet paper – lucky we have our own. If he says it is good – it is bad, very good – very bad, excellent – it is safe or they aren’t ripping us off. Be careful with water in the shower – don’t drink it at all- yikes!


 

Looking forward to a relaxing morning and sleep in tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment