Wednesday 28 September 2011

Stuck in Sydney - one more day of adventure

27/09/11

Another unexpected day to add to my adventure in Sydney. Arrived in Sydney around 6.30am in the morning and we heard that there could be delays with the strike. Customs staff were striking between 6-7 am and then 8-9am. So when we arrived in the airport there was a massive line up of people trying to enter Australia, the lines were backed up so far that they sort of went through the duty free shops as well. I eventually made my way through and got the last stamp of my trip when I realised I didn’t get a stamp to say I exited the USA – oh bother.

I went straight through to customs after waiting for a long time for my back pack and headed through to another very big long queue through customs because I had been hiking through the USA and had some American chocolates – hersheys and peanut buttercups. I was getting a little concerned as it was 5 to 8 and I was near the front of the line but didn’t want to have to get stuck there for an hour with the next strike action as some of the other stations had already shut down. Luckily I had my shoes on the outside of my bag for a quick inspection and I had my choccies bag on the outside area so I actually got passed through – the first time I hadn’t been checked and my bag  searched when returning home – pheww.

Next I went straight to the domestic transfer and there was a massive line – I probably should have asked someone to do an on-line check in for me. Some people were cracking up over the missed flights and delays and when I finally got to the front of the queue my flight was delayed from 1pm to 5.45pm – noooo! Was a little concerned Glen wouldn’t be able to pick me up with the later time and how I would spend the extra time as I hadn’t slept properly since the day before and had been up since 3am that morning.

After ditching my bag and my smaller backpack I bought a return train ticket into the city and headed to Circular Quay – since I’d travelled round the world by myself – Sydney shouldn’t be a problem. Thankfully I know my way around Sydney pretty well so from Circular Quay I headed around towards the Harbour Bridge, stopped off at the Australian Sudoku championships and did one before grabbing lunch at Hungry Jacks and eating it at the steps of the Opera House.

After a lap around the Opera House I headed to the Botanic Gardens and spent the next few hours meandering around the foreshore, stopping every so often to enjoy the view, take in the scenery, read and reflect on my adventure around the world.

Hit a slight snag with Glen uncertain about how to get me home with the later time home but Sarah and Craig came to the rescue and agreed to bring my beast down to Brisvegas to grab me from the airport.

Finally got to my flight at 6.05pm now and was half asleep before take-off. So glad to arrive back in Queensland territory around 8pm and on my way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment